Saturday, December 8, 2007

001collective

Just came across an excellent new torrent based label, although i probably shouldn't call them that - in their faq they say "The collective isn't a label, or an internet distribution site, or an internet label. We like to think of the Collective as a family of artists who help each other out whenever they can, and who make music because they love to make music."

But basically a nice clean website for a really good collection of quality new music, put together by one Luke Morris, an american college student from Louisiana, who also records under the name Secret Owl Society.
At present there are five releases up there, ranging from the lurching shy grandeur of Errand Boy, tinyfolk getting a lot more freak folk than his usual ukulele musings, and the off-beat pop of Secret Owl Society, which kinda sounds like how you imagine Anticon should have sounded. I'm still downloading the other two at the moment, but these three releases so far have all been super good.
What really impressed me was their 'Declaration Of Independence'. Its really articulate and accurately describes our changing habits of music dissemination and file sharing, in the positive manner which it should be viewed, seizing the opportunities of the now, rather than the pessimistic gloom we hear perpetuated from the RIAA and majors.
Oh, and of course they have the cutest logo ever!

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger msp said...

Aah, cool. Thought I recognised this guys name. He sent me some links a while back and I liked what I heard. Glad to hear they're publishing their own material.. Thx for the heads up.

December 8, 2007 at 8:04 PM  
Blogger King Caribou said...

Oh, dear, thank you so much (this is Luke)! This made me smile and clap my hands like a newborn.

The site has only been up three days, and already two blogs have posted about it!

I think I'm going to dance.

much love,
a secret owl

PS: Msp, I'm glad you listened to my stuff/remembered my name; I don't even remember my name half the time. Thank you!

December 9, 2007 at 7:28 AM  
Blogger Librarian Russ said...

Yeaahh!! 001 collective! I love it. I'm in the process of uploading the tinyfolk back catalogue to it.

December 9, 2007 at 7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home